Gästehaus Hoher Göll and Kampfhäusl
The Gästehaus Hoher Göll was originally a guesthouse associated with Mauritia Mayer's Pension Moritz. Along with the Platterhof, the guesthouse was enlarged and renovated. It was intended to be an intimate guesthouse for visiting dignitaries, and some did stay there, but it was mainly used as administrative offices for Reichsleiter Martin Bormann's staff, and for special guests of Bormann. Hitler's personal military adjutants such as Otto Günsche and Fritz Darges also had quarters there.
The Gästehaus was not materially damaged in the 1945 bombing, but it fell prey to plunderers and was allowed to fall into disrepair. For many years it was one of the few Nazi ruins on the Obersalzberg that were substantially intact. After return of the area in 1995, the Bavarian government decided to open a Documentation Center on the Third Reich. The ruins of the Hoher Göll were almost entirely torn down -- saving only the lower front façade and parts of the basement -- and the building was rebuilt. It now houses displays on the Obersalzberg under the Nazis as well as displays on the Holocaust and World War II. Part of the bunker complex can be visited from the basement of the Documentation Center. Visit the Documentation Center website at www.obersalzberg.de. (Click here and here to read interesting news articles about the opening of the Documentation Center.) (October 2017 note - construction of an extension to the Center has temporarily closed the tunnel access and walking path to the Berghof site.)
Following the abortive Munich putsch of 9 November 1923, in which the fledgling Nazi Party tried to take over the Bavarian government, Hitler was tried and sentenced to a prison term. Upon his release from prison in 1925 he retreated to the Obersalzberg, spending some time in a small cottage near the Pension Moritz (Platterhof). Here he completed the second part of his book Mein Kampf. After Nazi takeover of the Obersalzberg, this cottage became a sort of shrine, known as the Kampfhäusl.
After the war the wooden remains
of the Kampfhäusl were removed during the 1951 destruction of the former Nazi
buildings. Some references and tour guides state that there are no remains today
(as they do of most of the Nazi buildings in the area), but this is incorrect.
The stone foundation of the cottage remains, back in the woods across from the
Documentation Center parking lot, near the Platterhof site.
Hitler at the Kampfhäusl, ca. 1930
In this previously unpublished photo
from the Army Signal Corps collection, GIs are seen
For further information, including Internet links, check the Bibliography page.
Continue to other Obersalzberg sites - Hitler's Berghof, Bormann's and Göring's houses, Platterhof, Hotel zum Türken, bunker system, Kehlsteinhaus, SS barracks, Gutshof and Teehaus, SS guard houses, miscellaneous buildings, other miscellaneous area buildings.
For personal guided tours in
English of Third Reich sites in Berchtesgaden and on the Obersalzberg (and other
local sites) from a certified and accredited local tour guide, contact:
Third Reich in Ruins, http://www.thirdreichruins.com/
All contents copyright © 2000-2021,
Geoffrey R. Walden; all rights reserved. All photos taken by or
This page is intended for historical
research only, and no political or philosophical aims should be assumed.
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute
endorsement by the author of the information, products or
This page initially uploaded on 20 July 2000.